Saturday, September 25, 2010

Happy Dance: Jodie's Hobo Bag

Jodie wanted a new purse, but couldn't find just the right one for just the right price in the stores. So she asked if I'd give her some sewing lessons and help her make her own hobo bag. We chose this Simplicity pattern and decided to make the one where the handles tie.



We purchased all our supplies at Wal-Mart. Jodie chose this very pretty and soft faux leather for the outside.



Though the pattern calls for the same fabric for the outside and the inside, we decided to change it up a bit. Jodie chose this pretty blue and green cotton paisley print for the lining. We used another piece of this fabric to make an inside pocket (not part of the original pattern). In addition, we made a zippered coin purse out of the black fabric.



Jodie did most of the sewing. But when she got stuck and frustrated on some of the curves and with some of the top-stitching, she asked me to step in. I think she learned a lot. I know it was very good Mommy-Jodie time.



If we make another one (and she'd like to), she wants the bag itself to be a bit bigger and the handle a bit longer. I think we can manage to alter the pattern that way.

If I had my druthers, I'd use a snap closure at the top, add an outside pocket, and put some sort of plastic mesh stabilizer in the base of the bag so that it can stand up.

Here's Jodie modeling her new hobo bag. Nice, huh?


Next she wants to learn to hem pants.
Oh, joy.

1 comment:

Carolyn NC said...

Awesome job - love the bag!