Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy Dance: Boo!

The success I had creating the pillow for my friend Susan was encouragement enough for me to do a bit of finishing for myself. May I present ... Boo!


This piece of stitchery has been hanging around for three years, waiting for me to get up the gumption to finish it. I'd originally planned to turn this into a banner with prairie points around the edge. But never having made prairie points, I kept procrastinating. Sometimes trying new things -- even easy, creative things -- is intimidating.


So seeing as I had success making a pillow, I decided to repeat that process. This time, I added a second fabric as a border around the design. The purple polka-dot adds a very nice transition between the black aida and the burnt orange crushed velvet.


Because the aida and velvet are much heavier fabrics than the purple cotton, I used a double later of the cotton. That seemed to work very well. I suppose I could have used a single layer of cotton with some fusible interfacing for extra stability, but simply using a double (folded) layer of cotton was much faster.


You know why Boo has this goofy smile? Because he knows that the burnt orange crushed velvet used to be a waterbed spread from the 1970s! Dig around long enough and you'll find all kinds of interesting fabrics in my stash!


Tomorrow I have a date with Jodie to decorate for Halloween. I think Boo belongs front and center. Don't you?

3 comments:

Terri said...

Looks fantastic :)

Carolyn NC said...

Adorable - wonderful job!

Cynimin said...

I think front and center is the best place. Very cute!