Friday, November 26, 2010

Book Review: I Feel Bad About My Neck

I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

I'm glad this was a short book, because it was a waste.

That makes me a little sad.
  • Because I wanted to laugh
  • Because I rarely sit down to just read for pleasure, and this wasn't a pleasure.
  • Because I really like Nora Ephron. I like her movies. I like watching people interview her. I like her humor in those settings. I like to laugh.
  • I didn't laugh.
I'm pretty sure I didn't like the book because, unlike Nora, I'm not over 60. But neither is my best friend. She gave me the book because she loves to laugh. She read it and laughed.

I'm pretty sure I didn't like the book because I don't like big cities. Nora likes Los Angeles. Las Vegas. She loves New York. When I was in New York, it creeped me out.

I'm pretty sure I didn't like the book because, believe it or not, I'm enjoying growing older. I don't mind that I have laugh lines and that my hair is thin with gray bits. I don't mind that when I look in the mirror, I see images of my grandmother. I loved my grandmother. If I'm becoming more like her, I think that's a good thing to be. I'm looking forward to being a grandmother. (When you're ready, Daughters. Not now.)

Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm over 60. I doubt it. She has complaints in there about being over 50. Even over 40. Nora finds the funny in life one way. I find it another way. There's room for both of us on this planet.

So just because I thought this was a waste, you might not. You and I might not laugh at the same jokes. The rose-colored lenses in our glasses might be two different shades.


2 Stars

No comments: