Thursday, April 21, 2011

Gratitude


I am Grateful ...


For being the wife
Who says it's leftovers tonight,
Because I am home,
Not working the late shift,
And we had more than enough to eat last night.

For my husband
Who is fell asleep early,
Because he worked hard all day,
Has a good job,
And is home with me.

For my teenager
Who is complaining about being stretched too thin,
Because it means she is a superb student, has a job,
And spends time with a great group of friends.

For my young adult
Who landed back at home
After completing grad school,
Because it means she had a soft place to fall
And trusts us to boost her to the next level.

For my daughter
Who struggles to just feel normal,
Because she hasn't given up
And is still alive.

For my job as family Trustee,
Because despite the frustrations,
It means my daughters, nieces and nephews
Had a chance to go to college.

For the taxes we pay,
Because it means
We are doing our part
To help the common good.

For the mess to clean after a party,
Because it means I was able
To give my daughter a memorable prom night.

For the clothes that fit a little too snug,
Because it means
I have enough to eat.

For my shadow that watches me work,
Because it means
I am out in the sunshine.

For a lawn that needs raking,
Windows that need cleaning,
And doors that need painting,
Because it means I have a home.

For all the complaining
I hear about the government,
Because it means
We have freedom of speech.

For the parking spot
I find at the far end of the parking lot,
Because it means I am capable of walking,
I have a gym membership,
And I have been blessed with transportation.

For our huge heating bill,
Because it means
I was warm this winter.

For the baby who won't stop crying
At the next table in the restaurant,
For I can hear
And don't have to cook.

For the pile of laundry and mending,
Because it means
I have clothes to wear.

For weariness and aching muscles
At the end of the day,
Because it means I am
Capable of working hard.

For the doctor bills,
Because it means I'm one of a minority
Who gets preventative care
And has health insurance.

For waking at dawn,
Because it means I am alive
And my husband is stirring beside me. 



No comments: