Friday, October 28, 2011

Reading Today


I'm trying to get myself to sit down and read today. I love reading. I really don't know why it's been such a struggle for me to just sit down and enjoy it. I've been like this for months!

I'm actually reading this book on my Kindle ... but the software is in the process of updating on my device, so here I am, back on my laptop.

The book?

The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical
by Shane Claiborne

A friend and I have a "bookclub for two" and this is a title he recommended. I find the book quite a challenge. First, because it's written from the perspective of a Christian. I am just not sure where I fall on the Christian scale any more. I'm a cultural Christian. That is my background, was my strong belief system for most of my life, was the framework in which I took action, and those are the holidays I celebrate. But this modern Christian world is not something I recognize as being very Christ-like. A predominance of American Christians seem to have gotten faith and belief mixed up with ideology and politics. I can't be a part of that. So I wonder how this Christian-based book can be translated for a more secular audience that still is drawn to the idea of social outreach and equity.

Beyond that, this book is challenging for its message. What would it be like if we as a people actually LIVED the teachings of Jesus? What if we dwelled with the poor and disenfranchised? What if we cared for the sick, dying and homeless personally? What if we shared all our meals? What if we loved our enemies every time? What if we lived the Beatitudes?

Challenging indeed. In many ways, not very practical while raising a family and trying to provide health insurance. But challenging, nonetheless, to do what we can in our ordinary lives to be as servant to one another.

Perhaps it's taking me a long time to read this book because I can only take so much of this kind of challenge at a time. Then I have to stop. Think. Pray. Mull. And dive in again.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Wow. This is the first time I'm leaving a comment on, how do you say?....A BLOG! The book IS a challenge in many ways. The dude who wrote the book has a splash of humor about what I think is a good point, or two, which makes the medicine go down more easily. If anything, it challenged me to think that maybe I should be at least drifting toward this way of thinking. It might just make my life better. After all, by helping others I help myself (now where did I hear that one?) -Paul