Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Movie Review: The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn


It's not often I start out the day with a movie and a bowl of popcorn, but I made an exception today -- and I'm glad I did! The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn is worth watching.

This was truly a wonderful, heartwarming film. I don't recall how I heard about it (a preview from another movie? an excellent movie review? a mention from one of my movie-loving friends?). Somehow this title came to the top of my Netflix DVD list, and am I glad it did.

Here's the synopsis:
Small-town farmer Noah Dearborn (Sidney Poitier) lives an uncomplicated existence until shady developer Christian Nelson (George Newbern) tries to usurp his family's land. Nelson will do anything to take Noah's property, including hiring a shrink (Mary-Louise Parker) to have him declared insane. But Nelson doesn't anticipate Noah forming an unbreakable bond with the doctor, which proves stronger than anything the land baron can dish out.

Simple enough plot, yes. Big city company comes in to rural area to 'help' the people ramp up and earn more revenue. The potential building of a shopping center knocks the country folk off balance. Tension ensues.

It's the character development and performances that make this movie shine. But then, I'm usually drawn to movies and books that center on interesting characters that change and grow.

Sidney Poitier is exemplary, as always.
Mary-Louise Parker is beautiful and complex, in her usual style.
George Newbern has a fairly conventional two-dimensional role.
And Dianne Wiest is a well rounded and integral character, wonderfully cast.

This movie was released in 1999. I'm only a little over a decade in seeing it. A good showing for me!

No comments: