Thursday, January 19, 2012

Haiku

I've been reading a thoroughly engrossing book this week, Barefoot Sisters: Southbound. It's the true story of two sisters from Maine who hike the Appalachian Trail from north to south -- barefoot. There are great descriptions of the land and the people they meet along the trail. They make up songs and stories along the way. I highly recommend this book for people who want to go on a journey of inspiration ... especially if you're snowbound and ill as I've been this week!

Today, I read this haiku, written by jackrabbit, the younger sister. She was wistful about a fellow hiker she met early in her journey who was now far, far ahead of her on the trail:
Winter moon, tangled
branches -- now not even dreams
return him to me
That image struck me with poignancy.

I found it amusing that I should run into a haiku in the book. It's not a form of poetry one stumbles over every day. Yet just earlier in the day my daughter Jodie was waiting in the rain at the bus stop, wanting a ride home from school. She texted me a series of four haiku! Here's my favorite (not bad for a girl grumpy due to wet feet!)
Couple strolling forth
Beneath single umbrella.
Romance is alive.
Since I've been under the weather, texts from my daughter help keep my spirits up. My haiku reply to her was not nearly as inspired, but is nonetheless a window into my slightly stir-crazy situation:
I'm messing around
on my computer right now.
Nap in my future.

No comments: