Sunday, February 26, 2012

WIP: Single Rose 8

The Saga of Miss Rosy

When last we glimpsed Miss Rosy, in mid November, she had started looking comfortable in her swirly surroundings. She had a solid grounding in her soil. Even the backstitching was done there. Her stem was beginning to take shape and her leaves were beginning to form.

I haven't taken much time to stitch over the last three months, but there has been some incremental progress. The frame is complete -- even the backstitching of the scrolls. All of her leaves have grown. Now I'm working on the background, from the bottom up.

I'm stitching Rosy exactly the opposite way that's recommended. Usually, pieces are stitched top to bottom, bottom to top, or from the middle out. I did begin at the bottom and had intended to stitch bottom to top. But ... well ... it's just not how the colors led me. So it appears I'm really stitching from the outside edges to the center.

The problem with this is that too often the needle comes up through a "dirty" hole (one that already has a stitch in it) rather than a "clean" hole. So I need to be careful about splitting stitches and getting fuzzies from the back of the piece coming to the front. Not a big deal to me since I'm not intending to enter this stitchery in a competition or give it as a gift. This sweet Rosy is for me to enjoy.

Rosy? Ready for your close-up? Smile!
click for a larger image

She obviously is going to need a good blocking once she's stitched and washed so that she doesn't look so wonky. I *doubt* I can find a mat and frame that will hold her in this condition.


.

1 comment: