Last weekend, Dale and I drove south to Heyburn State Park on the west side Lake Coeur d'Alene. We are looking for likely "dark sky" areas where Dale can set up his telescope for some deep space star gazing.
We found a likely spot in a campground on a hill. While checking out park fees, we spotted this nest.
I love the graceful lines. It's more beautiful and intricate than any florist arrangement I've seen.
Every time I pull out my box of beads, I'm surprised at what I find. It's like going on a treasure hunt! If I remember correctly, the main green and yellow beaded beads were from an old necklace that fell apart.
After choosing the main beads, I dug around to find other beads of similar color. Those teardrop beads for the bottom of the ornament are really sweet. I tried to find beads of various sizes so that, when stacked, the ornament would have a pleasing shape.
Some of the beads I chose have very small holes. Pipe cleaners were too big to push through. So I found some gold beading wire for the core instead. Because it's thin, the finished ornaments don't feel very "sturdy," but they ought to hold together just fine.
I would have made more, but I only had five of the large yellow beads.
I just may have caught the beading bug again. Perhaps. But two days ago I received a cross-stitch chart in the mail ...
We'll have to wait and see what catches my attention next.
My husband, Dale, was on vacation last week. We decided not to go anywhere. Instead, we each worked on a few projects that had been waiting for a block of time. As a reward for getting a big project done, I gave myself an afternoon to play in my Studio.
I bought this ornament kit from Mary Maxim. Christmas in June? Why not?
The kit contained the beads and the glittery pipe cleaners. I supplied the wire snips and ruler (to cut the pipe cleaners to length), and the needle-nose pliers (to round the tips of the pipe cleaners).
I like to lay all the components out on my beading mat. I find it easier to work when all the bits are organized.
These 12 ornaments went together in a snap! I love the color and the shape. They have a nice weight too.
Finishing these ornaments got me in the mood to make some more. So I pulled out my beads and ...
I have one rose bush in my yard. After babying it for the last three years, it seems to be growing quite nicely this Spring. But I saw some bugs on it that I thought were aphids. So I turned to the internet to find a homemade bug spray that could help.
I found a video that described how to use a mixture of soap, water and cayenne pepper. You can view that video on eHow Home.
So I made the mixture and sprayed it on my rose bush leaves. Left it on for 15 min. Then sprayed it off.
I don't seem to have any aphids now. But I do have these white spots and holes in the leaves.
Guess I'll have to do some more research to figure out what is ailing my rose.