Friday, March 27, 2015

Self Portrait Week 12: Home Studio Portrait

Jodie was home from school for Spring Break and helped me set up this shot.


We're so pleased with the results!

---

My daughter Jodie was home from the university for Spring Break and needed some headshots for her graduation announcements, her blog, and her online resume. So we set up a photo studio in our living room.

Using some of the tricks she learned in her videography classes, we were able to get some very nice lighting effects. She taught me to have a key light pointing at the subject, which we diffused with an opaque white umbrella. We put a backlight on the floor behind the photo subject to separate the subject from the background. Then we used a mix of sunlight and incandescent lighting as fill light. I set up a custom white balance.

We used a nice medium grey felt as a backdrop and put the camera on a tripod. I used my "nifty fifty" portrait lens. I got some great photos of her. Then I used a remote wired shutter button to take this photo of myself.

While she was in town, we took a 2 hour "Portraits and Posing" class through our Parks and Rec department where we got some tips that we were able to put to use in our photo shoot. I feel like I learned a lot with this week's self-portrait.

No comments: