Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Breakfast with a Biker

Meet Mike. I did. Over breakfast at the hotel. I inadvertently sat down at a table I thought was empty, but that he had reserved with a book. Ooops. But the dining room was full, so we decided to share.


Mike is a retired trucker, now proud owner of a new Harley, complete with trailer. He's from the midwest, but relocated to Florida to get away from snowy winters. This spring and summer he's been traveling the backroads of our country, visiting national parks and secluded river valleys. Camping out at KOAs and Best Westerns. Grabbing photos with his dashboard GoPro. Taking in the wind - and ducking the occasional storm. Meeting up with friends and, like me, making new ones.


Giving strangers a chance to tell their stories makes for unlikely friendships. I'm glad he gave me the chance.

No comments: