Monday, July 13, 2015

Self Portrait Week 27: Idaho Tan

This is what happens when pasty white folk get a dose of the California sun ... a golden bronze ... er ... bright red?!

I'm having so much fun visiting friends in southern California where I grew up. The class reunion this weekend was a blast. Loud. Blasted my ears. And crazy fun to see so many familiar-but-not-so-familiar faces. I loved getting time to have one-on-one conversations on the perimeter of the chaos. I had the profound pleasure of deep conversations with a few chosen.



Fullerton is my hometown, but my own town no longer. It's really something when you need your GPS to get from one border to the other because the landmarks have changed and the city has grown.

The spirit of my high school buds is the same, yet more refined and more mellow. Can all that happen in a single person? Yes, I guess so. We are complex, wonderful people, full of foibles and triumphs. We find our way through the world, and help each other shape the world.

Thank you for welcoming me back, old town. You hold a place in my heart, even as I prepare my return to the relatively slower pace of my Idaho.


---

Photo Lessons I Learned:

  • When you have the chance to talk with old friends, put your big camera down and give your friends your complete focus. You won't be sorry you missed capturing their faces, because you'll remember the look in their eyes.
  • Put some of your scheduled tasks on hold. So what if Week 27's self portrait was taken at the start of Week 28. Important times are for focus on your friends, not (literally) on yourself.
  • Laugh at your own foibles - like forgetting the sunscreen. Take pride in the lessons others teach you about yourself. Be prepared for uncertainty. Embrace it.

No comments: