Thursday, July 23, 2015

Self Portrait Week 28: Aunt Shirley

Ack! I missed getting last week's self-portrait posted ... and now it's already time for a photo this week! This self-assignment is getting more challenging. But I have a good excuse.

I returned Sunday evening from a two-week solo car trip down to southern California. It was my 40th high school reunion and it was a BLAST! I also got to see three of my brothers and a posse of friends from my early college years.


On the way home, I had an overnight visit with my aunt. We hadn't seen each other in over 16 years. In the interim her husband, my Uncle Vince, died. Aunt Shirley showed me the memorial garden corner she has for him in her back yard. We decided to take our photo together there. With the angel and the shaft of light that flowed down, and the wind chime singing, it's like Uncle Vince is right there with us.


The night I stayed over, we went out to dinner with her two sons, my cousins Vince and Mike, and their families. Basque food! That was a first for me, and boy was it yummy. Here's the group selfie that Vince's daughter Sarah took (or was it Drew?)

---

Photo Lessons I Learned:

  • Sometimes the best parts of a photo have to be coaxed out in editing. This picture was very over-exposed. It took a bit to bring out the color, fix the contrast, and remove some of the noise.
  • 16 years is too long between visits!
  • As for real photo tips ... I got nothin' ... just keep shooting and shooting so that you have several shots to choose from.

No comments: