Sunday, June 26, 2016

Summer in the Soil

I spent most of yesterday playing in the dirt. The weather was sunny with a few puffy clouds, the temperatures in the 70s. I dug up the bulbs in the Garden of Hope and replanted them closer to the house.

I stopped by a home improvement store and looked through their highly discounted plants. I found violas with spindly fronds, dead leaves, and wilting flowers. They were only 79 cents each (used to be $3.00 each). So I brought them home, cleaned them up, planted them, and gave them plenty of water.

By this morning, they were looking much perkier. I hope they'll enjoy their new home.


I also spent quite a bit of time cleaning grass and weeds out of the phlox beds. Then I started digging up tulip, hyacinth, and grape hyacinth bulbs in the back yard. I plan to replant them closer to the front door. I hope they'll survive the move.

A Bucket of Bulbs

I was covered in mud and had several splinters by the time I got back inside. It was a glorious day and I was feeling sore and worn out in the best of ways. I'm healing up today, but hope to get out in the dirt again this week.

No comments: