Project Pinterest 23
Every year I make a new ornament for my family. Because Dale and I downsized Christmas this year and, for the first time, had a theme tree, I almost forgot to make family ornament in 2016. So a couple days before Christmas I was scrambling. I tried two other ornaments that day, using materials from my stash, but just couldn't get them to work.
Then I came upon this reindeer idea, and set to work. Luckily, I had these materials in my stash, too.
The burlap is cut about 1" wide by 1.5 inches long. I didn't measure. I had a burlap ribbon. I folded it widthwise in thirds or fourths until I liked the proportion. I did cut off the selvages. Because the burlap frays, I painted a strip of glue along each edge.
While the glue was drying, I cut some glitter stems (like pipe cleaners) into pieces, and wrapped short pieces around longer pieces to create the antlers. I took a 1/8" red ribbon and cut it into pieces about 4 or 5 inches long. I counted out google eyes and pompoms, then set everything out assembly-line style.
I used white glue to adhere the eyes and nose. I tried to do the same with the antlers and ribbon, but they wouldn't stick to the burlap. So I pulled out a needle and some tan thread and whipstitched them into place on the back side of the ornament, catching the pompom through the burlap just to make sure it didn't fall off.
I suppose hot glue could be used. I didn't have my glue gun ready, though, and it likely would have left lumpy globs on the back and seeped through to the front. White glue dries clear.
As I was stitching, my hand holding the ornament ended up pushing the google eyes around a bit. I love that happy accident. It gave each reindeer a unique expression! The whole herd makes me laugh.
Inspired by Fun Family Crafts