Thursday, July 20, 2017

Stars & Stripes

I've slowly been working through my 2005 Cross-Stitch Calendar. Each month of the wall calendar came with a piece of aida (this is 18 ct), a themed chart, and a printed mat made of lightweight cardstock. This cheeky patriotic bird called Stars & Stripes was the July design.


The stitched area of each design is 3.25 inches square. Some have fun "specialty" stitches. In this case a modified Smyrna Cross is used for the fireworks, the stars in the flag, and the gold studs in the corners of the black stitched frame.


Each piece also calls for embellishments or charms. My guess is that back in 2005 these embellishments were available as calendar add-ons, but I didn't purchase them. So I used some star-shaped plastic beads on this eagle. Those in my stash are slightly pink, but they read as off-white in the overall design.

[click for larger image]

I found the off-white distressed frame at a thrift store for less than three dollars. I think it works quite well with the Americana themed piece. After I framed the stitchery, I added a label on the back. I usually make labels for heirloom pieces. Even though this little stitchery isn't of that stature, I enjoy the finishing touch.


No comments: