Thursday, December 28, 2017

Remembering Mom

20 years ago today, I lost my mom. And yes, it does seem that long ago now. Following is the memorial I posted at the time on my now-defunct website about counted cross-stitch, CameoRoze's Stitcher's Studio.

I love you, Mom. There are times I still yearn to talk with you. I wish you'd lived to see Jodie get married to Ken this year. I wish you'd lived to meet your great-granddaughter, Melody, and witness Julie and Jeff as parents. I wish you could see what a lovely young woman Jeanne has become after her troubled 20s. I wish you could see how blessed my life is with Dale, and celebrate my 60th birthday with me. I'd have liked to share these experiences with you. 

[small smile]

I'd be able to take a much better portrait of you now than this photo that I took on your 51st wedding anniversary.


---


Memorial

Emily Codispoti - 1921-1997

 
After a year and a half of fighting kidney disease, my mom died. I was so lucky to be the daughter she lived closest to during this last year. She got to know my kids well, and they got to love her. And I got to be the one that she talked to as she prepared for this final passage.
 
.
It was my mom that first taught me to sew, to embroider, to crochet. One of her last gifts to me was a set of four "flour sack" dishtowels that she embroidered. She never did like cross-stitch, though. She said that was my domain.
  .
Below is the obituary that I wrote for the papers. It only tells a little bit about the woman I knew, and call Mom. I do miss her so!

Cameo @-->-->---



Emily Marie Codispoti, 76, Hayden, died Sunday December 28, 1997, at Sacred Heart Medical Center after a prolonged illness.

She was born May 14, 1921 in Chicago, IL to Bertha and Edwin. She spent her early years in Chicago, working with her parents in their family-owned Ben Franklin Store. She moved to Burlington, IA during the Great Depression and graduated from Burlington High School in 1939. Emily attended Southern Illinois State Teacher's College in Charleston, IL graduating in 1944. She then had an early career as a high school teacher of Mathematics and Physical Education in Bradley, IL.

Emily met her future spouse, Tony, at a USO dance at Chanute Field during World War II. They corresponded faithfully during Tony's tour of duty in the south seas, and were married following the war in August, 1946. They honeymooned in southern California, then stayed there to raise a family of eleven children.

For twelve years Emily was a homemaker while Tony worked as a sales representative and supervisor for Standard Brands, Inc. in the Los Angeles area. For the following eighteen years Emily and Tony operated a "Mom and Pop" pizza operation, Giovanni's Pizza, in Fullerton, CA (Orange County). The family moved to Moscow, ID in 1977 where Emily worked toward a Master's Degree in Early Childhood Education at the University of Idaho. In 1981 Emily opened her own daycare center in downtown Moscow at the old Grange Building, Emily's KinderHaven. She operated this business for 10 years. She moved to the Coeur d'Alene area in 1996.

Emily is survived by her husband of 51 years, Tony Codispoti and ten children: Eleanore Neidiger of Pullman, WA; Paul Codispoti of Fullerton, CA; David Codispoti of Garden Grove, CA; Annette Codispoti of San Diego, CA; Janet Codispoti of Fullerton, CA; Margaret Davaz of Post Falls, ID; Mark Codispoti of Bothell, WA; Jon Codispoti of Whittier, CA; Barry Codispoti of Fullerton, CA; Burt Codispoti of McKinnleyville, CA; and 18 grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her son, Carl Codispoti in 1989.

A memorial service was held at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Moscow, ID on Saturday, January 3, 1998 at 1pm.

No comments: