Thursday, March 8, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 1996 (Part 3)

Victorian Wedding Remembrance

My Mom and Dad celebrated their golden anniversary on August 14, 1996. I adapted the design to reflect their 50th anniversary. 



This piece from Stoney Creek Collection is fairly intricate, so took me quite a while to stitch. I was able to keep it a secret from them until they opened the gift at their party.



I used some metallic gold threads to emphasize the GOLD of the anniversary. 



I framed it myself.



After my parents died, this piece was returned to me. I took this photo of it today.





Silk Ribbon Embroidered Floral and Beaded Pin

This was my first attempt at silk ribbon embroidery. It was done on a base of perforated paper. That appears to be a spider stitch cabbage rose in the middle. I do like the picot edging of white and rose beads.. Very pretty. This was a gift for one of my secret sisters. I believe the design was from a Mill Hill Beads kit.





Kid Sleeping


In September, 1996 I made this door hanger that says, "Kid Sleeping." I adapted a ColorPoint (fabric paint) graph that I found at a thrift shop.

The original chart said "Baby Sleeping", but my two year old daughter said, "I’m not a baby anymore!" 


It may be time to pass this on for my granddaughter to use -- except that she's going through a phase where she does not want to take a nap!


Jack-O-Lantern

This project represents another first for me -- my attempt to stitch a design onto a cotton t-shirt using waste canvas. I adapted this design by Virginia Douglas, adding the purple background and green and orange border to make the jack-o-lantern pop ... and to cover some stains on the t-shirt!



I think I wore this t-shirt every year for over a decade, until it simply became too raggedy. I wonder if I still have this chart. It's awfully cute. I'd stitch it again!

No comments: