Thursday, July 12, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 2000 (Part 4 of 4)

My year of small projects finished up with several more ornaments and one Thanksgiving stitchery.


Little Snowfriend

This cute little guy came as a free chart in a mailing for an offer for a cross-stitch magazine. He stitched up very quickly in just two days. I decided to stitch him on 14ct perforated plastic. It was a very fun project. (Some are quite fun, others are a test of patience). This Snowfriend has just enough shading to make him interesting, but only uses twelve colors of floss.

When the stitching was done, I trimmed it close to the stitching and backed him with craft felt. I kept this ornament for myself and hang it on the tree each year.




Tall Turkey

I stitched this goofy turkey for myself. I was born on Thanksgiving Day, so turkeys have always held a special place in my heart.

This chart calls for Gentle Art Sampler Threads, but is also charted for Anchor and DMC stranded floss. I chose to use the DMC floss for my bird. He's such a cutie! The button and fabric came with the chart.


I completed it as a quilted banner and hang him in our front hallway each Fall.




Elves and Spiders

These charming Christmas critters aren't cross-stitch, but did involve some sewing and beading. I found the elf pattern in one of the many Christmas craft books that I inherited from my mom. I made about a dozen of them in red, green and white. They have pipe cleaners for bodies, so they can bend and pose! Their heads are made from wooden balls, and their hands and feet are beads.


The spiders were made from bead kits. They are formed from beads and wire with various jewelry findings. The kit instructions were very clear, making the spiders fun to put together. Here's a close up of a similar spider that I made this year.


Over the years these elves and spiders have given my daughters quite a bit of fun. The elves have been known to ride on the backs of the spiders, use the spider's heads like soccer balls, and play follow the leader. I kept all the spiders, but gave many of the elves away to the UPS gal, the mail delivery gal, and my favorite waitresses. It's a joy to give a gift to someone who works hard, and isn't expecting something handmade.




Folk Art Snowmen Ornaments

This is the series of ornaments I stitched for my own family in 2000. These snowfolks caught my eye because they are just slightly tattered and torn, and have a real homey feel. They are stitched on Fiddler's Light ground cloth, a fabric with nubby brown fibers that help with the country/rustic flavor of the designs. The ornaments were finished as little banners with fringe on the bottom. The hanging "pole" is made from twisted paper ribbon. Clever!



There were eight ornaments in the kit, so I stitched the other three for my oldest sister - and got them to her on time!




In 2001 I was ready to work on some larger projects, beginning with a latch-hook rug. I look forward to sharing that and more next week.

No comments: