Tuesday, November 6, 2018

I Voted

I am officially one of the "gray-hairs" now.

I arrived at our precinct 15 minutes after it opened. I waited in line for 40 minutes. I voted.

That's a big turn-out for our precinct at a mid-term election. Most of the folks who arrive at the precinct early are our older citizens. The only ones without gray hair were a woman whose red head could not have come from the womb, and a mother who brought her 9 year old daughter with her to teach her how voting is done.


I received a paper in the mail last week that said I have a 100% voting record. Well, I know I missed a couple school board elections and special elections, but for state and national elections, yes. I always vote.

Standing in line with my other "gray-hairs," I feel such pride. In them for turning up year after year. In myself for taking part. True patriotism ... not the kind that merely wears flag pins on their lapels as "proof." Not the kind that makes crude jokes or statements about the "other" party while waiting in line. Nor the kind that fly tattered American flags from the back of their pick-up trucks (how is that respect for the flag?)

I'm a quiet kind of patriot. I love this democratic process, even when I get frustrated and shake my head at our local, state, or national politics. I pay attention. I consider thoughtfully. I engage in a way that makes sense to me.

So, no. I won't fly a flag today - though I respect the right of those who choose to do so in the name of free speech. I'm not that overt. I will wear my "I Voted" sticker - though I have no plans to leave the house later today, so who will see it? I will decorate our living room in red, white, and blue. And I will host an election party tonight to share the election results with family close to me. Dale and I expect to be up later than usual tonight.

Yes! Democracy.

No comments: