Thursday, May 6, 2010

Gratitude: Poetry

But often, in the world's most crowded streets,
But often, in the din of strife,
There rises an unspeakable desire
After the knowledge of our buried life;
A thirst to spend our fire and restless force
In tracking out our true, original course;
A longing to inquire
Into the mystery of this heart which beats
So wild, so deep in us--to know
Whence our lives come and where they go.
From "The Buried Life" by Matthew Arnold


Today, I'm grateful for poetry.

I'm grateful for the melding of word upon word, image upon image.

I'm grateful for writers who pause long, and place into words the deep questions of life.

Usually, they have no answer to these questions.
But I'm grateful the questions are asked.
They make me think.

The cadence of the words causes me to slow down.
To ponder.
To wonder and dream.

I'm grateful for the music that is poetry.
The lyrical line.
Or the line of rhyme.

I'm grateful I'm given a chance to look
through this auditory lens
To settle in, close up
And tap into the magic of the poetic arc.


* * * * *


Weekly Gratitude
For 52 weeks, count your blessings and document them once each week

No comments: