Saturday, May 1, 2010

Men Wield Needles, Too

It's the first of May, so it's a Kiva Loan Day!

One of the things I enjoy about Kiva is that it improves my geography!

Today I'm lending $25 to a tailor in Togo. I honestly needed to check the map and read up a bit on Wikipedia. Togo is a small country on the western side of Africa.

Though I usually try to lend to women, today I chose to give a loan to a male tailor. Biova Komi ZIKPI is a married father of three. He requested a $1,200 loan to buy new sewing machines and work supplies in order to expand his business.

In Togo, $1,200 is nearly a full year's income! The $25 I'm loaning is barely enough to buy dinner for two in north Idaho (US). Just think how far that money will go in a developing country. Won't you consider making a loan, too?

Kiva. Loans that change lives.

No comments: