Monday, August 16, 2010

Helping Out an Old Friend

The best job I ever had was working in the Children's Room at the Fullerton Public Library. The work environment was wonderful. My supervisor was exquisite, energetic and dedicated. My co-workers were great. I learned a lot. I had a lot of fun. (I even fell in love!)

Because of that job, I wanted to become a librarian.

My plans to get a Masters in Library Science fell through. Life got in the way. (I fell in love again and had a family). But my love for libraries never died. I've worked in private business libraries, academic libraries, public libraries and elementary school libraries off and on - both for pay and as a volunteer - during my entire adult life. Online, I have a library of needlework finishing techniques.

Organizing and retrieving information is second nature to me.

So I've kept in touch with my favorite workplace throughout the years. Facebook has made it simpler than ever to read the latest news.

Unfortunately, with all the financial trouble California is having these days, the Fullerton Public Library is having some real difficulties. The library's acquisitions budget has been cut by over 90%. Therefore it has almost no money to purchase books, DVDs and magazines for the current fiscal year.

Patrons interested in helping can donate materials on the library's wish list through the Adopt-a-Book program in a variety of ways. The library makes it easy to help you pick just the right material for you to purchase. It can be your little way to help the entire community.

In addition, the Friends of the Library have some innovative ways to help raise funds for a variety of library needs.

The Friends have recently opened a used book store! It's conveniently located right across the street from the library on the northwest corner of Commonwealth Ave and Short Street. Current hours of operation for this summer season 2010 running through the end of September hours are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 10:00 until 2:00.

So now's the time to check your shelves and donate! Perhaps you have boxes of books you no longer need, are simply storing, but aren't worth the trouble to sell yourself. Donation has got to be more economically sound than paying for storage. Donate them to the Friends!

Books and other media in relatively good condition are wanted for their sales. Sometimes very old books sell if the topic is unusual or the book is out of print. One person's trash is another person's treasure so what you no longer want may appeal to others.

The Friends also have a bookshop on Amazon.com called Ostrich. The Friends list books on Amazon and sell to buyers all over the world. There are over 2,500 titles listed on Ostrich. This is the place to go if you are looking for the more rare or out of the ordinary book. Prices at the online store are competitive when compared to others listing the same item.

You can keep up with the Friends of the Library activities by subscribing to their blog.

Please consider helping out my long-time friends and the community where I grew up, either by purchasing books from their store, by donating new material they need, or by helping to spread the word.

2 comments:

Martha's Memos said...

Thank you for writing about the Library and the Friends. Our director forwarded your link to me and since you did such a nice job promoting FPL and the Friends store and even mentioned the blog, I am listing you as our 3rd link. I know other Fullerton residennts are promoting the library on their websites as well so I will have to rediscover them so they too can be included. I did see an interesting needle craft book that tells how to computerize images for stitching in the tall bookcase by the window in our store. It was ther Monday when we closed.
Martha L.
Friends Publicity Chair
FPL Children's Service Librarian

CameoRoze (Margaret) said...

So glad to help out a worthy cause. Thanks for the link back to my blog, Martha!

~ Margaret