Friday, October 22, 2010

Happy Dance: Dog Lessons

Yeah! Hooray! I finished another stitchery project!

This pillow is for my quilting friend Susan. Her birthday is tomorrow. Susan is the best dog owner I've ever known. Now that her children are grown and far away, Susan has a dog and cat family. She raises the most beautiful Irish Wolf Hounds.


This is Arcu. A wonderful dog! Look at that face!! He died last year. Unfortunately, Susan lost several of her older furbabies over the last three years. But she always opens her heart and adds another to her family.


Dog Lessons for People. I saw this chart by Lizzie*Kate when I was on vacation last summer. I knew I had to buy it and stitch it for Susan.


I decided to finish it as a pillow. I edged the stitchery with this green cotton print. The back is a very soft plush chocolate brown microfiber. (And I only messed up with my measurements once in the process. Not bad for turning a rectangular stitching into a square pillow. Hey! I'm improving!)


The chart calls for Weeks Dye Works and Crescent Colours fibers. Since I didn't have those in my stash, I substituted with Gentle Art Sampler Threads in colors of my own choosing. I started this chart on some nice brown raw linen. But the slubs were giving me fits, so I chucked that attempt and started over on some 18ct ivory aida. I did end up gridding the fabric. That made stitching the words much simpler. All of a sudden, my stitching became FUN again!


I've completed so few projects this year that this feels like a major accomplishment. I look forward to giving it to Susan. It'll make her cry ... and she hates to cry in front of people.

:: whispering ::
I torture her with love.

4 comments:

omashee aka Barb said...

Cameo, what a wonderful friend you are. Susan will be thrilled. I know what it's like to be a fur-mom. We lost our Matty on 9/11 this year. But we still have 3 so we are blessed.
Let me know if you're interested in selling your chart. I would love to stitch this for my husband.
Hugs, Barb

Terri said...

Great finish for a great person :)

crossstitchbibs said...

Beautiful work - glad your getting your stitching groove back. I have not had many finishes this year either - too much stress in my life with getting divorced. I can relate to your friend as I am a cat lover and have 7 of them at the moment.

Carolyn NC said...

This is adorable - wonderful job!