Thursday, November 11, 2010

Movie Review: Babies

An ideal movie to watch on a droopy kind of day. These four little ones from around the world can't help but make you smile.

From Netflix:
Documentary filmmaker Thomas Balmes charts the simultaneous early development of four babies from different parts of the world, illustrating what makes human life unique, similar and precious wherever it occurs. Training his camera on newborns Hattie from San Francisco, Ponijao from Namibia, Bayarjargal from Mongolia and Mari from Tokyo, Balmes captures everything from first screaming breaths to first steps.

.
I'm a sucker for both documentaries and for little tikes, so Babies is a big hit with me. I think my favorite scene is at the very beginning of the movie when Ponijao and her brother are beating rocks. I guess siblings taking things from one another, and emphasizing their desires with a smack or a bite, is a universal phenomenon.

5 Stars

No comments: