Friday, November 5, 2010

On This Fall Day

Outside my window...
it's threatening to rain.
The yellow maple leaves are sparse in the trees, but carpet the lawn.

I am thinking...
that I love Starburst Days.
Mental health hours that recharge my batteries.

I am watching...
an old movie from 1945:
Brief Encounter with Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson

I am thankful for...
popcorn.
The ultimate comfort food.

From the kitchen...
banana bread.
Made Wednesday, with walnuts.

I am wearing...
my "I don't want to leave the house" clothes.
The pants have holes along the seams; the t-shirt is stained; the hoody is maroon. Comfy.

I am creating...
Some Halloween treat bags with embroidered trees and pumpkins.
Maybe I'll finish them before next October.

I am going...
to give at least one massage this weekend.
Warm oil, quiet time, attentive to detail, calming.

I am reading...
Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life by Quinn Cummings
Funny essays!

I am hoping...
to face a dragon this weekend.
He's probably just a little lizard.

I am hearing...
the cars buzzing on the freeway.
It's 5 blocks away.

I smell...
wood fires burning.
Low clouds trap chimney smoke.

Around the house...
I've decorated for Thanksgiving.
My favorite holiday ... the day of my birth.

One of my favorite things...
three really, my daughters.
They're beautiful, smart, funny, quick-witted and kind.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Having some coins appraised. Pressing some scarves.
Raking and bagging millions of pine needles in the yard.

No comments: