Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pinterest Weekend

My daughter Jodie and I both enjoy wandering around Pinterest and gathering tutorials for crafts to make and ideas that will improve our lives. Unfortunately, most of our pins get looked at, but not acted upon.

So we've decided that twice a month, we'll have a Pinterest Day. We each pick a pin (we are not required to both do the same pin), and try it out. Then we'll blog about the activity. So yesterday I picked a pin about a home made jewelry cleaning solution.

I chose to clean a bracelet made of jump rings and several rings, including our wedding bands, my engagement ring, and a silver spoon ring.


Next, I gathered the ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon dish detergent
  • 1 cup hot water
  • aluminum foil

Heat the water in the microwave. Line a dish with the aluminum foil. Pour in the hot water. Add the other ingredients. Mix.


Add the jewelry. Set a timer for 10 minutes as the jewelry soaks.


Rinse and dry the jewelry thoroughly.


My conclusion? It didn't work that great. The silver spoon ring was the most improved. But other jewelry cleaners I've used left my diamond ring with a high sparkle. This did not. The items were a bit cleaner. A bit of tarnish was removed from the bracelet. But mostly, my husband and I didn't notice much change.

Guess it was worth a try, though. I understand some crafters swear by this solution. I won't bother with this one again.

-----

No comments: