Saturday, January 3, 2015

Gifts for My Girls - Part 6

Feeling like I had a little crafting mojo back after finishing the felt penguin, I moved on to making some hot air balloon stationery for youngest daughter, Jodie. She writes the most kind and wonderful notes for friends, co-workers and mentors. I was pretty sure she'd appreciate some hand-decorated cards. I was inspired to make this from an idea I found on Pinterest.


I started with a simple watercolor wash. It doesn't show up well in the photos, but these watercolors have a pearlized or opalescent quality. They shimmer a bit.


Then I found some fabrics that looked like they could work as a hot air balloon bladder. I had to audition a number of fabrics to find some with the correct scale. I ironed a fusible web to the back of the fabric, cut out the balloon shape, then ironed the balloon shape to the front of the card.


I used a bit of burlap to create the basket. Then I outlined the balloon and "tied" it to the basket with a marker. I stacked the notecards and wrapped them with a pretty coordinating ribbon.


Jodie opened them on Christmas and said they were too nice to use. She said she may frame them instead. Ahhhh!


---

Balloon stationery inspired by Crafting Chicks:





No comments: