Saturday, January 2, 2016

My Favorite New Expression

In 2015, there was quite a disturbance in the Force in my family of origin. One person stirred up some discontent. Others followed, adding their own woeful tales. Others still acted as defenders. Yet others watched the scene unfold in long email threads with their mouths open in disbelief. With nearly 30 people involved, there were plenty of opinions to toss about.

My sister Janet, who wasn't really embroiled in any part of the situation, but who was on the email thread, contributed this inciteful statement:



It became my mantra for the rest of the year as the turmoil continued over months. Each time the situation started feeling overwhelming, each time another barrage of spite was tossed my way, each time I had to respond with patience to impatient people, I'd look at the sticky note I'd attached to my pencil holder and repeat her sage words.

Thank you, Janet. You were a bright spot in a murky swamp.

No comments: