After considering several options and laying things out on my "design wall" (aka living room floor), I came up with this layout for the quilt. That blue is ... very very blue. But the green and orange squares in my mom's stack looked even worse when laid out next to the softer pink and yellow. Plus, the quilt had to have a llama, right?
This photo is very fuzzy and it's nearly impossible to see the outlines of the animals on the colored squares here. That's OK. I took the photo so I have a record of what goes where once the squares are embroidered. I don't want to have to make this layout decision again. I got the animals to all face each other and be amused by each other. Reminds me a bit of The Brady Bunch.
The squares are about 9 inches right now. After washing and trimming, they'll be about 8 inch squares. I'll add some kind of border to each square, probably a solid color fabric. And I'm thinking about some kind of print between the squares. I'm guessing the finished quilt will be someplace around 36 inches wide by 48 inches high. I like hand stitching, so I may quilt it by hand. I've been meaning to learn to make prairie points for years, so this might be a good excuse to try that technique when I bind it. I haven't considered what kind of backing.
So many decisions to make! Ahhhhh!
I'm not sure about any of this. I'm "talking out loud" and throwing ideas against the wall. We'll see what sticks as this project progresses.
At least I know my next steps: embroider these six squares.
To be continued ...