Friday, December 15, 2017

Crochet Baby Afghan

My friend Mary commissioned me to make an afghan for a special baby. Ian was born prematurely in July. He was so tiny. Only 20 ounces. The size of a cornish game hen! He has a huge will to live.

Mary asked if I would crochet a special afghan for this little trooper. We chose to use the colors of the sea because the little tike lives close to the ocean. We chose the criss-cross shell stitch as the pattern. The shell stitch also keeps with an oceanic theme.


The afghan is about 32 inches square, alternating two rows of each of three colors, white, blue, and green. I used a nice soft Bernat Softee Baby yarn. I found the crochet pattern through Pinterest.


I finished the edges with a simple shell stitch made of 7 double crochet.


One thing I like about the criss-cross shell stitch is that when you see the finished afghan in profile, the color changes form an X or criss-cross pattern, too.


Ian was finally able to go home in early November, once he reached 5 pounds. I've seen photos of him now and have become "Facebook friends" with his mom. What a special family! I was honored to be a small part of their story.

---

Criss-cross Shell Throw inspired by I Like Crochet


No comments: