Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Year in Review

Every December, in this week between Christmas and New Year's Day, I pause to take a look back at the past year. I do a bit of reflection and review. I write for a while.

I pat myself on my back for my accomplishments. I consider the lessons I've learned. I ask myself how I can become a better and wiser person. I decide what projects, goals, beliefs about myself, and stories I tell myself I can release because they either aren't true or no longer serve me. I offer gratitude for the blessings.

Then I make a list of goals for the following year.

My daughter Jodie had a great idea for 2017. She made "17 goals for 2017." She made progress on all of them and completed at least 14. I thought that was a neat idea. At minimum, it's more approachable than my usual far-too-many goals for a single year.

So for the last few weeks, I've been writing down goal ideas. This week, I prioritized them. It took quite a bit of juggling to get down to my top 18. Here's what I've decided to try:



And through these goals are now set in print, they are not set in stone. If I find that one of them is too far out of reach, I've given myself a back-up plan: a list of alternate goals. I have permission to exchange one goal for another.

I find that as a goal-oriented person, these lists help me. But they can also cause me to kick myself when I overreach, so seems like a solution worth trying.

I like the feeling that comes with review and goal-setting. I have both perspective, and a plan on how to move into the year's rebirth.

No comments: