Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Day 200: Black & White


I've added a new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section:
Day 200 - Evening Dusting


I'm playing with light again. This time the light on the deck is casting long shadows into the back yard where we have our nativity set up. The light looked so pretty shining on the dusting of snow. I thought there was some decent contrast, so I made this image black & white.

It's the first black & white photography I've done on my Journey, and it has some interesting results. I'll have to play with stark contrast some more.

I started thinking about black & white photography over the last week because of two isolated instances. First, I bought Annie Leibovitz's book A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005 for my husband for Christmas. Most of the images in that book are black & white.

The second instance has to do with needlework! The charity group I'm in has decided to stitch some quilt squares for Love Quilts Germany. Babies like crisp images in black & white ... and I've signed up to stitch one of those squares. (I'll post it in the coming months). So it was interesting to go through my stash of charts to find an appropriate black & white design. My eye had to look at the charts in a new way to see if some of the colors could be converted.

*Sigh* The holidays are just about over now. I'll plan on posting Christmas photos until January 6 ... the feast of the Epiphany. I make this season last as long as possible. I love Christmas!

1 comment:

abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Cameo, got all your details and all change on the participants of the UFO's and WISP's post.