Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bumper Sticker Wisdom


I was stopped at a red light today next to a blue jeep that was obviously owned by a feminist. There were plenty of bumper stickers on the car portraying that point of view, anyway. This quote by Maggie Kuhn was my favorite.

There are plenty of times I've kept silent, even though things were bothering me. I wanted to keep the peace. Didn't want to rock the boat. Allowed for the status quo.

I thought if I opened my mouth to share my opinion, I'd burst into tears. Ever had one of those dreams where you try to cry out, but your voice doesn't work? I hate those! I've had far too many of those nightmares.

So this bit of wisdom strikes a chord in me. I may not be certain. I may not be able to keep my composure. I may open myself up to ridicule or risk getting thrown from the group for having an alternate or opposing opinion. I may even lose a friend. But may I try to speak my truth anyway. Finally.

Even if my voice shakes.

Speak your truth ... share your feelings ... compose your ideas ... bare your thoughts ... use your critical thinking skills ... and try to do it with compassion ... not with anger or out of retaliation ... that takes courage.

That is integrity.

No comments: