Friday, May 18, 2007

Day 336: Summer Flowers

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Rose in May

The last of the spring bulbs are blooming in the neighborhood. I cut my deadheads back this morning.

Now the summer flowers are beginning to bloom. I was surprised to find this rose in full bloom, growing next to the sidewalk. It's pretty early for roses around here. But this plant gets a lot of southern sun exposure, so I suppose that helped it bloom sooner than most.

Our home is in a gully of sorts, with lots of shadows from all the trees and mostly filtered sunlight. So the flowers in my own yard tend to bloom late. The phlox is finally out now in the back yard, while it showed up elsewhere in the neighborhood two weeks ago.

The lilacs are in full bloom now, too, so I'll have to try and photograph their beauty. Too bad I can't capture their fragrance. I fell in love with lilacs the spring after I moved to Idaho ... and I'm not out of love with them yet. They were always one of my mom's favorite flowers, too.

No comments: