Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Saturday Secret ... from Flylady

I've mentioned my mentor, Flylady, many times on my blog. I read an essay from her today that touched my heart. She became a mentor to a half million women because she's been through hell and come out the other side. Now she teaches others what she learned along the way.

In this essay, she shared the secret of her darkest hours. It's worth sharing, because at the end, there is hope.
We have to do something to break this downward spiral. I am going to tell you a secret of mine. Several years ago, I was severely depressed. They admitted me to the hospital, because I was suicidal. Things just kept piling on. I needed help, but I didn't know it. A friend made me think I was helping her by going with her to her psychologist. She had made the appointment for me. I saw the therapist and then the next thing I knew I was in a 10 day treatment center. It happened that fast.

I looked awful; sweat pants, long stringy oily hair, over weight, no makeup, and a don't care attitude. I was in a room with a flight attendent and another lady that was beautiful. My first assignment was to clean up, it was their job to give me a make-over. WOW

I never dreamed that changing a few things on the outside could make me feel so good on the inside. Now I am crying as I remember the overwhelming difference this exercise has made in my life today. I would carry myself different; I had a confidence that came from some where. I didn't know where at the time. My walk had changed, along with attitude and spirit.

I know what it is to wander through days in depression. Because of Flylady's help, I was up, showered and dressed by 6:30 this morning. I'd cleaned the bathroom and mapped out my day before computer time.

Little steps, certainly.

But these little steps have led me to this fuller, happier life. It can happen for all. It's up to you to take that first step.

In the words of Padre Pio:
Be content to progress in slow steps
until you have legs to run
and wings with which to fly.

No comments: