Friday, March 19, 2010

March Newborn King Update

I've been able to make some significant progress on my stitchery this month, despite getting stuck for a couple weeks on the tip of the angel's wing.

Once again, it was a chart problem holding me up. The very tip of the angel's wing was a separate little chart that had to be lined up with the main chart. And once again, the dark lines on the little chart did not match up with the dark lines on the main chart.

I seem to have a problem with matching, because it was befuddling me to get the overlap line in place and count correctly to line up that angel wing tip. So I stuck my stitching on the other side of the room for a couple weeks and just glowered at it.

I made a couple attempts to re-mark the dark lines (failing miserably). I then tried to extend the chart and write the symbols in myself. That didn't work either. Or rather, it started out working, then got all messed up so I stopped and frogged the few stitches I'd put in.

I finally just took scissors to my chart (degradation!), lined the thing up, taped it in place, and marked the dark lines in the appropriate place.

All I can say is, I darn better like the finished product! This chart has given me far too many fits which kinda takes the fun out of stitching. But I'm back on track now.

The entire angel and background are in half cross stitch, so once I get going, the stitching proceeds fairly quickly.

I've got to say, this is probably the least methodically I've ever stitched a piece. I usually let the pattern grow from bottom to top. With this piece, I seem to be doing whatever is easiest first, just to see some progress so that I don't get discouraged all over again.

It's been a month since I last posted an update. It's nice to see the comparison. Ta Da!

3 comments:

crossstitchbibs said...

Nice Progress! Its looking really nice! I can understand the frustration on a project - I have had a few like that. I usually start in the middle and the one I got frustrated on the most I started at the bottom and worked my way up and around and the middle would not come out right. I never did finish it cause I was so frustrated! It was a kit made in some other country and the directions were horrible

fredamans said...

Looks like it will be a beautiful cross-stitch when complete.

Terri said...

Looks great Cameo.