Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Homemade Swiffer Pads

I saw this pin on Pinterest and thought it was a great idea. My Swiffer hasn't been used much because the pads that you tuck into the slots just keep slipping around too much - and are too expensive. I've been tucking my microfiber cleaning cloths into the slots, and they, too, shift around too much, even through the cloth itself did a good job of getting the gunkies off my wood floors.
The idea is to buy some cleaning cloths at the dollar store and sew them into slip-on pads. No more fussing with those slots! So I got two different types of cleaning cloths at the dollar store - a shammy type yellow cloth and a blue microfiber cloth.
Each cloth made two Swiffer covers. It really was as easy as cut, measure, fold, sew. The covers are a little tight to get on and off, but that keeps them from slipping around when in use.

The blue covers work GREAT! (I haven't tried the shammy yet). Pop 'em off. Throw 'em in with the wash. Reusable. When they wear out, no biggie. It only cost fifty cents.

-----



4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's pretty frickin cool! I need to make me some of those. :) I'm wondering if you just leave one edge, on one side unsewn and use velcro or a snap or tie or something. . .

CameoRoze said...

Snaps might work if you could get them close enough to the edge. They might go clickity-clickity on the floor as you mop. The velcro? I'd be concerned for it during washing and drying. Those microfiber cloths are sure to get stuck in the velcro and might be hard to get un-stuck.

Anonymous said...

I did this with small towels and elastic but after while the elastic stretched too much from washing. So this is a good idea I'll try. Thanks.

CameoRoze said...

I hope it works well for you. I use mine weekly. That's over four years, and they're still going strong.