Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Santa Tote

Continuing with another installment of "things I made for Christmas," Here's a tote bag I made for my friend Virginia.

I made the tote bag from a heavy-duty denim. I didn't use a pattern - just noodled it out. It starts with a basic pillowcase shape, then I formed the flat bottom much like this video.  I also topstitched each corner and the bottom edge of the tote to give it a nice rectangular shape.


I fused the stitchery onto the denim bag, then fused the satin ribbon around the edge of the stitchery. I had to do some minor hand-stitching at the mitered corners. Then I added the bamboo handles. I was able to sew them on with a wide, short zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine.


The stitchery is from a cross-stitch kit by Designs for the Needle. It's called Santa Peeking. I think it's an adorable design. All the threads came with the kit. I really like the sparkles in Santa's beard!



The reindeer peeking over Santa's shoulder is such a sweet addition.



Ho Ho!


No comments: