Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Decorating for Autumn

I made a new Fall decoration for our mantle this year!


I started by spray painting some wooden letters with this pretty cranberry color. If I decide to do this project for any of the other seasons, I think I'd use acrylic craft paint and a roller or brush. The spray paint needed 3 or 4 coats, and it just dripped too much.


I bought some inexpensive yet pretty 5" x 7" picture frames at the Dollar Tree. They come with glass. I took off the back and put in some coppery-brown glitter paper (it looks rather gold here). The glitter paper is also from Dollar Tree and comes three 8.5" x 11" sheets in a package.

Then I hot-glued the painted letters onto the glass front. The "A" was just a bit too wide, so I had to trim down the bottom serifs with a saw before I painted it.


I lined the frames up on the mantle, then added some wired ribbon and a crystal vase with tall grass that I picked on my morning walk. I'm really pleased with the result.


I got the idea for this craft from CheapCraftyGirl on YouTube.

#CornerOfMyHome

1 comment:

CoCo said...

I love this! Sounds like a fun and relaxing project. I miss having a mantle. Much as I like the house we live in, the last two had fireplaces and it was fun to decorate on the mantles. Anyway, it's nice to see what you did with yours :)