Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Helping Out Locally

Jodie and I have joined forces to do some at-home sewing and crochet for a wonderful organization in town called Bags of Love. This group provides necessities and comfort items to children who are in crisis due to neglect, abuse, poverty, homelessness, or disaster. 

Jodie and I were overwhelmed in the best way when we were given a tour of their facility. They helped nearly 5,000 kids in 2023. The women we met are smart, kind, organized, talented, efficient, and overflowing with goodwill. It's exactly the kind of organization I've been hoping to join since moving to Eugene: "a ray of hope in a time of crisis."

Jodie and I became part of this organization a month ago and were given the job of making bookmarks. Every child gets a book in their bag, and every book gets a bookmark. Jodie and I figured this is a small enough project that we can do on our own time. We make the bookmarks when I visit her twice a week in between taking care of and playing with Abby.

We were given a stack of fabric and several rolls of ribbon along with basic instructions. Cut the rectangles.


Sandwich a piece of ribbon between two layers of fabric. Use pinking shears to trim the edges.


Sew them together. Repeat. ... Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.


Couldn't be easier.

We'll also be crocheting purses for little girls. They can provide yarn. We can pick whatever pattern we want. The first pattern I'll try is an online freebie from The Yarn Bowl that uses a granny stitch.


This bag should be very easy and work up quickly. I'm thinking about lining the purse so trinkets and treasures don't fall out through the holes.


I even found a local knit/crochet circle that meets in the library. I'll see if that's a good fit for me and a way to meet other like-minded women. My plan is to dedicate my time in that group to crocheting child-size purses for Bags of Love.

No comments: