Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A Year of Meditation

I realize meditation isn't an endurance sport or a competitive endeavor. All the same, I'm incredibly proud of myself for having the fortitude and persistence and ability to stick to it and reach this goal. WOW. A full year of meditation without missing a day!


Admittedly, some sessions I felt like I was "phoning it in" and doing the bare minimum. Overall, I managed an average of 10 minutes of meditation per session -- some as long as 20 minutes, others as short as 3 minutes.

I've recently found a new favorite series for meditative running. I walk instead of run due to physical limitations. What I enjoy is the coaching aspect of these guided meditations. I've never before been called an athlete, and I get to think of myself that way when listening to my coach.

I'm impressed at how easily I can slip into the habit of meditation now. Like in the waiting room of a doctor's office, or a grocery line, or a traffic jam. Breathe. Feel present. Observe. I have more patience during times of inconvenience.

I've attempted meditation off and on since high school. This year, I found the right teacher for me, Andy Puddicombe, at the right time. I'm grateful.


If you're interested in guided meditations, check out the Headspace app on your smartphone, or headspace.com for more information. At the time of this writing, they are offering 40% off your first year.



No comments: