Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Harvesting Reality

In each of us ... OK, in me ... there are (at least) two beings. Fantasy Margaret and Reality Margaret.

One personality trait of Fantasy Margaret is that she believes she is a gardener. She'll tend to a small garden of tomatoes, green beans, peas, Swiss chard, carrots, lettuce. In addition, she'll maintain tiny kitchen herb garden. In Spring, her borders will be filled with flowering bulbs. In Summer, sunflowers and hosta. In Fall, she'll have a yard brimming with bright red burning bushes. She'll eventually add raspberries and a cherry tree.


Reality Margaret, however, has tried these things. I've had minor success. Quite minor. This year wasn't one of them. Recall that I planted an herb garden from seed. I had some sprouts. They died. I planted small starter plants of parsley, oregano, basil. The basil died. The parsley and oregano barely held on.

Today, I faced reality. I am not a gardener. I never will be a gardener unless and until the plants grab a hold of my soul and we grow together in harmony. So today, I harvested my meager herbs.


I don't harmonize with growing plants. So what? I harmonize with cross-stitch and sewing and crafts and photography and singing. I harmonize with making wreaths and flower arrangements from faux flowers. So this afternoon I used the containers from my herb garden and filled them with artificial flowers. They brighten up the corner of my kitchen where the herb garden perished.


I will, however, continue to take lovely photographs of my neighbors gardens. I can be satisfied with that.

No comments: