Thursday, July 5, 2018

Throwback Thursday - 2000 (Part 3 of 4)

I continue looking back on the year 2000 starting with projects I completed in October. 


Pumpkin

This sweet 3-1/2 inch pumpkin design by Carolyn Meachum of Serendipity Designs came as a kit. I framed it in a gold frame and display it on my mantle each Fall.




Joy ChikadeeB

This tiny ornament is from a kit by the New Berlin Company. I gave this away as a gift.




Rustic Rose Towel

My sister received a chain letter from an elderly woman that she helped to care for. Though my sister usually disregards these kinds of letters, the elderly woman had received the chain from a favorite niece. So I was asked to fulfill the request because the woman was so excited about it.

In consultation with my sister, we picked out a design and color scheme. I found the pattern in one of my embroidery books, stitched it quickly, and sent the towel to my sister. She said that her client loved the towel and it made her day. It feels good to go out of my way every now and again to help out someone whose life isn't as easy as my own.




Shepherd Christmas Ornament

Here's another tiny ornament from a New Berlin Company kit. There are times when I need these quick stitches for a feeling of accomplishment




Noel Ornament

I fell in love with the simplicity of this pattern when I found it in an old version of Christmas Cross-Stitch by Better Homes and Gardens. This was an ideal introduction to Assisi work (also known as Voided Work). In this this type of stitching, the background is stitched and the ground cloth left exposed shows the design. Assisi work has the best result when the contrast between ground cloth and threads is high, like this white on red.

This ornament was stitched on red perforated paper with #8 perle coton. I then backed it with red felt. The banner's "pole" is a toothpick, stitched right into the top row of Xs. The finials are red beads, glued to the ends of the toothpick. I make the hanging cord from three plies of the perle coton. The finished size of this ornament is 1-5/8 inches by 4-1/8 inches.



The final #throwbackthursday from the Year 2000 ought to be posted next week.

No comments: