Saturday, April 6, 2019

Black Ribbon Lady

Today I'm returning to my Ladies of the Evening series with the fifth lady of the year. My criteria for adding an evening bag to my collection has little to do with whether or not they are antique, vintage or modern. I don't collect by price, either, though I do love to rescue my ladies from thrift stores. I like to collect ladies that have unique shapes, interesting beaded patterns, or are covered in a pleasing fabric.

This soft clutch is modern and made with inexpensive materials. The body is 7-1/2 inches wide, 4-1/2 inches tall, and an inch deep at it's widest point.



The center front is embellished with a strip of cardboard covered in black acetate, which is then covered in four rows of sparkly rhinestones. They're cheap, but the catch the light beautifully.



The back of the clutch, like the front, is covered in ribbon. The acetate-covered strip continues from the front of the back to the back, but is plain.



What makes the lady so soft are the six rows of box pleats that cover the entire base. From a distance, they look like a ribbon that is folded and stitched into place. But I think the fabric is a shiny acetate, cut into strips, doubled, then box pleated before being stitched onto the base. The fabric is very soft with a satin texture.



My guess is that this evening bag was used at a prom. It feels like a young woman's choice that had one glorious night out on the town, then was tossed to the back of the closet. It shows a bit of wear and the metal could use some polishing. On the inside, it's clear that this evening bag once had a chain handle. It was removed and the purse was used as a simple clutch instead.



Another bit of wear and tear? The center front embellishment has torn loose from the metal frame. It's slightly frayed where it became detached. Because of this chink in the armor, I was able to study the purse construction, get a fairly good idea of what the fabric is, how much it frays, and how the fabric ribbons were sewn.

I don't think I'll be able to sew the rhinestone embellishment into place. Instead, I'll use some Fray Check on the top edge, then glue the sparkly strip back where it belongs.



Black Ribbon Lady is one of my thrift store rescues. I bought her for $6.99 at a Goodwill store.



Some people have hearts and homes big enough to rescue cats or dogs. Me? I rescue Ladies of the Evening.




No comments: