Thursday, April 25, 2019

Throwback Thursday - 2004 (Part 13)

These are the last 5 cross-stitch projects and one knit project I completed in 2004. It's been a run!


Pat's Flower Bookmark

The bookmarks made for my quilting friends continue. This came from a leaflet called Ribband Ribbon to Cross Stitch: Linda Dennis' Primer Charted Designs: 70 Projects. I adapted a pattern for a napkin ring to make this colorful bookmark.





Royal Blue Scarf

I took a break from cross-stitch and knit three of these royal blue scarves. I was able to sell two of them, and gave the third to my daughter for her birthday.

The scarf is all done in knit stitch using size 11 needles. They're 15 stitches across, and I made the scarves as long as I liked. I added six inches of fringe to each end. The yarn is just wonderful. It's Lion Brand Yarn, Chenille Thick & Quick. It's great to work with and barely ravels.




The White Cat

This pillow was a surprise gift for my daughter. Ever since she was a little girl, Jeanne wanted a fluffy white cat. She got a tabby instead. But I remember that original wish.

The look on this little guy's face drew me in. I had a compulsion to stitch it for Jeanne's 20th birthday. Bonus, I somehow managed to complete it without her knowledge! I decided to finish it as a tuck pillow. The brown fabric is nice and fuzzy and soft.

The chart called for two skeins of Oatmeal Gentle Arts Sampler Thread to stitch the cat. I only had one skein and couldn't find another locally, so had to compromise. I did the bottom portion of each "X" with DMC 3033 (the alternate color given on the chart). Then I did the top of each "X" with Oatmeal to allow the subtle shading to show.

The chart called for the flower centers to be small black buttons. I looked through my stash, but couldn't find four buttons all the same size. So I decided to use some orange sequins and black beads as the flower centers instead. I made my own tuck pillow from fabric in my stash.





Terrie's Pretty Bookmark

This is another bookmark which I stitched as a birthday gift for a gal in my quilt group. Terrie loves pink and pretty things. She was thrilled with this.

This is the fifth bookmark I've stitched from the Pretty Bookmarks chart. They are all so lovely!




Lois' Bookmark

This pattern reminds me of snowflakes, perfect for a winter birthday. I decided to stitch it for Lois to include with her birthday card.

I found this border pattern in a book called Julie Hasler's Cross Stitch Projects: 65 Quick and Easy Designs. It's a book full of inspiration and designs printed on graph paper, but without specific instructions for color or fabric. In the book this pattern is shown as a border for a table runner and napkins. I adapted the pattern for this bookmark, using a variegated floss.




Clara's Bookmark

Here's the last project of 2004. I tucked this bookmark into Clara's birthday card in January. I thought some pretty flowers would help cheer her up.

This is another nice design from the Ribband Ribbon to Cross Stitch leaflet.

And with that, my Year of the Small Project was complete!


On the next #throwbackthursday, I plan to share some crafts that I completed in 2002. It's a series of ornaments made from salt dough.

No comments: