Thursday, April 7, 2022

Eugene Park Tour - Bertelsen Nature Park part 2

The nature park is known for its trees. Prominent among them are ash. 


The buds on this specimen were just starting to open the day we were there.


The website states, 

"The Bertelsen Trail and Malik Trail wind past the pond, through the prairie and oak habitats, and into the riparian woods. The Malik Trail is named for the native Ash trees here (Malik means “ash” in Kalapuyan)."

The Kalapuya are the native peoples in this part of the state.



After writing the majority of this post, my Google image search identified these photos as in the magnolia family. The images of Oregon Ash buds don't look like this.

Ah, well. I like to take pictures of nature, even if I don't know much about the names of the flora and fauna I'm photographing. I'm attracted to what is pretty.
:: shrug ::

Whatever this tree is, it was big and beautiful and didn't much look like the magnolia trees in Ruff Park that we saw last month. These buds weren't fuzzy like those magnolia. They also have green clusters ready to pop out of the bud, rather than a single magnolia flower. It's the clusters that intrigue me. What a neat texture!

I'll post more of the trees from Bertelsen Nature Park soon. They remind me of Halloween, with bare, creepily-shaped branches and hollowed-out trunks. The day we visited, the trees looked quite dramatic against the cloudy sky. 


No comments: