Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 496: Going Nuts

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Nuts for Nuts

This photo has a humorous story behind it.

Once upon a time there lived three squirrels, Joey, Billy and Andy. These lively rodents dwell in our backyard and were named by my daughter Jodie.

Joey, Billy and Andy are frisky and fun and have kept us entertained all year. We watch them play tag in the grass, scurry along the tops of fences, and jump like Tarzan from tree to tree, swinging on the pine boughs. My favorite trick is when they hang upside down by their toes, looking for all the world like furry pinatas.

Last fall, the three thought it might be great fun to dig up my newly planted tulip bulbs and keep them as their winter food source. I had to go to extraordinary lengths to protect the bulbs so as to enjoy the spring flowers.

This fall, my mother-in-law gave us a big bag full of acorns that she had collected in her yard. We put the bag out on the back deck so they'd be handy for feeding our little squirrel friends.

Those squirrels got wise to what was in the bag! A few days later, we found a 5 inch rip in the side of the bag. We spied the critters scurrying off the deck, across the concrete blocks and into their hidey holes, nuts in their mouths.

Well, Joey, Billy and Andy have been quite industrious. Guess they figured out snow is in the forecast this weekend.

When I went out on the back deck this afternoon, this is the picture that greeted me. The paper bag was completely flattened. The acorn tops were scattered nearby.

Glad our little friends will have plenty to eat this winter. It's the least we can do as payment for the vaudeville show they enact all year.

No comments: