Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday Secrets: Nov 25, 2007

PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard. I find it to be an amazing sociological experiment. Here are the new secrets that resonate with me:


When I moved to Lewiston, Idaho 27 years ago, I lived on a street lined with oak trees. The street went from the front of my apartment to the back side of the college I attended. That first semester was extremely lonely since I didn't know anyone and was unfamiliar with the area.

But late in the fall, the oak leaves fell leaving piles and piles of leaves on the street. I had the best time rustling through the leaves all the way home from school each day! It made me feel alive.

Last week I was in Lewiston to visit my favorite college English professor. After our lunch together, I drove down to Normal Hill to roam my old neighborhood. I drove along the street I used to walk down. The leaves were piled high. I was sorely tempted to jump out of the car and rustle through them once more.

I'll be 50 years old this week, too.


Thanksgiving was just a few days ago. It was SO GREAT to celebrate the day with just the four of us ... and my oldest daughter on the phone. Relaxing. Enjoyable. No extended family to appease or contend with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL.... this is funny :-)