Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Day 508: First Snow

I added this new photograph to Creative Journey in my Photography section, Nature Trail

We're in the third week of November, and still no snow has fallen in Post Falls.

The mountains surrounding our valley were dusted with the confection, yet none has fallen on our streets.

Believe me, I'm not complaining. It's just fairly unusual. It's common to have our first snow before Halloween. There are some winters where the snow falls and sticks from mid-November through the end of April! That's enough to drive a California-grown girl a bit nuts.

Today I drove 100 miles south to pick my daughter up from college so she could celebrate the Thanksgiving holidays with us at home. Before I left, she called to warn me that they got snow and it's sticking. I was glad for the report because we haven't gotten around to having our snow tires put on the car.

Turned out to be a pretty nice day for a drive. I started out around 8:30 am, and needed sunglasses to cut the morning glare. By the time I'd driven an hour south, the snow was flying. The wheat and pea and lentil fields of the Palouse were sculpted in white and black. Shadows falling in the furrows of the plowed fields reveal artistically textured landscapes.

This country is gorgeous in every season!

I paused at a rest stop to grab a new stick of gum, stretch my legs, and snap some photos of the first snow of the season. Here's the first.

No comments: